Tuesday, April 1, 2014

HIMYM is making me feel too many feelings

I spent the first part of the series finale of How I Met Your Mother tonight in tears, only to end up in somewhat angry confusion. There was 9 years leading up to this! I feel like this ending only happened because the show went on so long. They had to justify spending 8 years of talking about Robin and only 1 year of talking about the Mother. I guess I feel robbed.

I just like Robin and Barney together so much more. They were more similar and suited to each other, just like they ended up showing the same about Ted and the Mother. I really hated that they got divorced.

Sure, I guess it makes some sort of sense, and the symmetry was interesting. It just feels a little like getting together with Robin in the end negates Ted's relationship with the Mother. And it's just so sad that she really only had a few years of happiness. She spent a long time being sad about her first love, and then meets Ted and dies 10 years later. She didn't even get to see her kids grow up.

If this is what was going to happen, I wish they hadn't even shown the Mother either at all, or as much, as they did. I got all invested just to find out that he ends up with Robin anyway. And what was the point of showing Ted finally getting over Robin, only to still get back together with her?

I guess maybe there's a point in there about how it's the journey, not the destination? And I guess Ted getting back together with Robin after the Mother dies doesn't necessarily have to take away anything from their relationship.

I wonder how much influence social media has in these things. People have been saying for years that the Mother is probably dead at the end, the creators denied it, and then that's exactly what happened. I remember when Lost was on the air, people early on were saying that the island was purgatory, and the creators denied it, and then it ended up not being true, but if social media weren't there to make them feel like they have to do something unexpected that people haven't already thought of, would that still have been the case?

1 comment:

  1. It's cause death is "serious" and a copout. Just like that dude said if he'd killed a character off on He-Man he would have won an Emmy!

    ReplyDelete