Monday, November 2, 2015

Stan Lee's Comikaze 2015!



On Saturday, I attended my 17th (or so) convention this year, Stan Lee's Comikaze! 


This marks the very first time I've gotten a Press Pass, though, so that was extremely exciting!


This year, the convention was held for the first time in the West and South Halls, rather than the Main Hall. This meant that not only was the show a bit smaller, it was also spread out over two different places.

Comikaze, as always, had plenty of cool stuff to check out: all kinds of vendors selling toys and comics and Funkos, artists, crafters, and cosplayers galore.


Funko was there promoting their Marvel Collector Corp and Smuggler's Bounty subscription boxes with an enormous box and Groot Funko. I already subscribe to both, and I was actually wearing the T-shirt that came in my last box. When I went to the booth, one of the workers thanked me for wearing their shirt, and gave me a free Ant-Man poster!! Pretty awesome.


I don't know if it was because it was Halloween or what, but there was a TON of cosplay. I would almost say it's more than I would normally see. It's always so cool to see how incredibly creative people can be. I saw a lot of Mad Max cosplayers, and a lot of Bob's Burgers, Back to the Future, and Mario Kart, as well.


Also, several dinosaurs!


This was a new one: a Shia LaBeouf cosplayer performing his infamous "Don't just dream it, do it!" speech.


The West Hall contained the majority of the exhibitors and vendors. The South Hall had a lot of cosplay stuff, plus the Gudetama kitchen. Gudetama is the newest character from Sanrio; it's a egg/eggyolk that's really lazy. I've been seeing posters all around town about it, and now I finally got to see what it's all about!


The South Hall also had Comikaze's Main Stage, which featured panels and cosplay competitions throughout the day.


They also had the droid builders area set up. I love this drink serving R2 unit!


I took a picture of this awesome Baymax, not realizing that one of my favorite YouTubers, Traci Hines aka Helvetica the Hipster Mermaid was in the picture as well!


Grumpy Cat had an appearance at the Hot Topic booth! I had almost completely forgotten about it until it was almost over, and I rushed over there. I was content to just see her from afar, like in the picture I took below.


But then they said I could get in line, but couldn't guarantee that I would get to meet her. But then, not even 10 minutes later, THIS HAPPENED:


I was so excited!!! She is SO cute and grumpy. She barely moved at all the whole time, except to smack her little mouth and lick her nose. I died.

Not long after that, it was time for the panel my boyfriend moderated, a screening and cast Q&A of the movie Live-Evil! It was a very Halloween-time appropriate movie about a demon that shows up in a small town on Halloween and causes the dead to rise and zombies start to wreck havoc.


It was the West Coast premiere of the movie! Everyone that came had a great time.


I didn't buy very much stuff this year. Maybe it's because we go to so many shows; maybe it's because I already have so much stuff and am feeling a bit over-saturated with my nerd possessions. I did get the US Agent Funko Pop (which was a Comikaze exclusive), and a couple really cool phone cases from Flex Comics of a Stormtrooper and a pink R2-D2 (or maybe it's an R2-KT). My only swag consisted of a Gudetama pin, a Grumpy Cat pin, and the Ant-Man poster I mentioned earlier.


It was a great, well-run show this year, no complaints to speak of! It always feels like a really enthusiastic show; like everyone that's there is really excited to be there. Being in 2 different halls was a little strange and not ideal, but they made it work. 


See ya next year, Comikaze!

No comments:

Post a Comment