Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Comic Con 2013: Critter Dropping

A couple weeks before Comic Con, I read about this woman, called the Geeky Hooker, who crochets these little amigurumi creatures and hides them around Comic Con and leaves clues to their location. The critters were adorable, and a treasure hunt of sorts sounded fun, so Erin and I decided to look for the critter drops as often as we could during during the Con.


The first drop happened on Preview Night -  an adorable little crocheted Hulk. As soon as I got the notification from her Twitter that there was a drop, we ran over there. She posted what I thought was just a picture (later I realized it was actually a video, which would have made it a bit easier!)  So we ran down to the lobby she said it was in, and used powers of deduction - “it looks he’s on a black table, behind a white stand” - to figure out his location. By the time we got there, someone had already snatched him up! It was so much fun trying to hunt him down that we decided we definitely had to make this a priority.


There he is!!!
The next day, there was an update that said she was scouting a location around Lobby F and G. We went down there to wait until she posted a video of the location. As we were waiting, I walked over to a nearby stand to grab an updated guide. A woman was already standing there, and as she walked away, I looked down and realized it must have the Geeky Hooker, because she had left a 1-Up Mushroom right there!! I immediately snatched him up and held him aloft, Lion King-style. Like 10 seconds later, someone else came up looking for him, and then more and more people starting running up, frantically looking around. I was shocked that there were so many people also doing this search, and by how quickly they showed up!
Taking a seat in Hall H!





We missed out on the next few, but for one of the last ones, a Totoro one, we were stuck in a line. It was so unfortunate, because that drop was actually right near our condo. My mom and aunt had just gone back there, so I texted and asked if they’d be willing to go look. They sprinted over to the location and started searching through the trees, along with some other con-goers/critter hunters. My mom found a discarded gray sock on the ground and actually grabbed it, thinking it was the critter! We later went back to the same place and the sock was still there. It was the exact same shade as a Totoro, so she wasn’t far off, I guess!

The critter drops ended up being one of the highlights of my Comic Con. Not only is my 1-Up Mushroom super cute, but the hunt itself was a ton of fun! I can’t wait for next year’s!

No comments:

Post a Comment