Monday, September 9, 2013

Delaware Punch

Have you ever heard of Delaware Punch? It’s a drink that was a staple during my childhood in Texas. It comes in this beautiful purple can, and it’s “fruit” flavored, but mostly tastes like an especially delicious grape flavor (or, you know, purple flavor). You can’t find it really anywhere now. A couple years ago, I was driving through east Texas to see my great uncle and found it in a convenience store in the middle of nowhere. My parents were able to buy a couple cases of it for me at some wholesale place in Houston. Other than that, I haven’t seen it anywhere in 15 years!

Some Fun facts that not even I myself knew:
  • Coca Cola actually owns it.
  • The name comes from the Delaware grape where it gets it’s flavor, and has nothing to do with the state of Delaware (another fun fact: I don’t believe Delaware is a state that actually exists.)
  • It was more popular than Coke back in the 1910s and 20s.



I currently have a couple cans of Delaware Punch in my fridge, leftover from those cases my parents bought. It literally tastes like my childhood, like youth and innocence and good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment