Friday, September 27, 2013

Welcome to Night Vale

I was looking through iTunes in search of a fresh new podcast to listen to. I came across one called Welcome to Night Vale. It was described as something like a radio show of community events, except that this community, Night Vale, is home to some incredibly strange supernatural occurrences. I listened to a few episodes and got totally hooked. I raced through the 20-odd episodes in a matter of days, even though I only listened to them during my commute, instead of during the day like most podcasts, because I wanted to really pay attention to it, instead of having it as background noise like I do with some of the podcasts I listen to.


It’s so well-written, blending the commonplace matters of a small town with mysterious bizarre happenings. And I love Cecil’s voice, and how it can change from regular radio announcer, to creepy and ominous, to a schoolgirl with a crush. There’s great recurring characters who get mentioned, like the hovering cat in the station bathroom; the glow cloud on the school board; old woman Josie and her angels; Hiram McDaniels, the five-headed dragon who’s running for mayor; the hooded figures; and of course, Carlos the scientist, who Cecil waxes poetically about.

It seems like it’s gotten pretty popular recently. In the couple days after I started listening to it, I saw several mentions of it in various places around the internets.

Also, check out these 11 Burning Night Vale Questions, answered by Cecil himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment