Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Writing Workshop with Francesca Lia Block!



On Sunday, I attended a writing workshop held by Francesca Lia Block. When I saw her post about the class on Facebook a few months ago, I leaped at the opportunity to learn at her feet. I absolutely adored her books when I was a teenager. They spoke to me in a way few other books did at that time. They were inspirational to me as a kid that felt different from other kids in a way that she couldn't even fully express. I loved how they glamorized LA and film culture, which I was obsessed with. I could never ever have imagined that I would not only meet her and learn about writing from her, but that it would be at her own beautiful home, AND that her home would actually be only a couple miles away from my own in LA!

To prepare, I reread several of her books in the preceding weeks. I hadn't read them since high school or maybe college. I was happily surprised that they still were as magical to me now as they were when I first read them. They're so fun and whimsical and hyper-real (while still maintaining enough realness to be identifiable). Obviously, the Weetize Bat books, compiled together as Dangerous Angels, was/is my favorite, and I brought it with me for her to autograph. It follows an unusual girl named Weetzie as she figures out who she is and how she fits in the world, and makes friends and finds love; the other books also follow her kids and her friends.


The workshop itself was amazing! I learned so, so much, and really got some great ideas and inspiration for some of my stories. Having Francesca say she liked my idea was... unreal. She was able to give so much insight and motivation to me and all the other girls there (who were all really cool, creative girls with really fascinating stories). I left the class feeling so incredibly inspired and motivated.



This happened later that same day. Dying.


No comments:

Post a Comment