Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Google Cardboard Virtual Reality Viewer

This year, the Legendary booth at Comic Con gave away Google Cardboard VR boxes. I managed to get my hands on one, and let me tell you, it is AMAZING. 

WTF is a Google Cardboard, you ask? It's basically a virtual reality viewer made of cardboard that you fold out into a viewer. You secure your phone in front of the lenses, and then put it on your face. Instead of having to get a pricey VR headset or whatever, Google Cardboard enables you to transform your phone (and a cardboard box) into a VR viewer.

You can purchase your very own Google Cardboard here! They have a bunch of different variations now; most are around $20-30.


I was so shocked to see how many apps are already available to use with it. Check out all the apps currently on the Android Appstore here.

I was very impressed with the apps that I tried out. It's so incredible how immersive they are! You really feel like you are in a completely different environment. I really believe that this could be the future of entertainment. Much more than 3D, this truly gives you an experience where you feel you are right in the middle of it.

Here's a selection of some of my favorite apps I've tried out:

Cosmic Roller Coaster
Take a ride on a roller coaster in outer space, swooping around planets and among the stars!

Seene
I haven't extensively tried this out, but you can basically take your own pictures and make them into a VR environment. It's a whole new level of photography!

North Face: Climb
Walk around the edge of the grand canyon, and even base jump off, all without leaving the comfort of your living room!

Orbulus
Instead of videos, this app contains dozens of pictures of beautiful and famous places that you can experience in 360 degrees.

Sisters
This one is pretty unique. You're in the middle of this creepy room. You look around, and when you look back, something's... different. The environment knows where you are looking and responds accordingly. I don't want to give anything away, but it's pretty cool, and perfect for a good Halloween scare!



No comments:

Post a Comment